Student Engagement Associate
Part Time Position
Location: Los Angeles or Sacramento
The Campaign for College Opportunity is a California non-profit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the next generation of California students has the chance to attend college and succeed in order to keep our workforce and economy strong. The Campaign’s work is guided by three main priorities: to engage a broad coalition of California leaders and organizations in support of higher education access and success; to raise public awareness and share research highlighting the challenges and opportunities facing California; and to support policy solutions and reforms to our higher education system so that we can produce the 2.3 million additional college graduates our state needs by 2025. The Campaign has a small professional staff and is headquartered in Los Angeles, with offices in Sacramento and Oakland.
The Student Engagement Associate for the Campaign for College Opportunity will be based in Los Angeles or Sacramento and will support student organizing, outreach and policy activities. This will include building student support for higher education legislation, budgetary and statutory policies that promote student access, success and affordability. Additionally, the Student Engagement Associate will provide a wide variety of support for the Campaign staff. The ideal candidate will be a current student at a California Community College (CCC), California State University (CSU), or the University of California (UC); has a deep network of student connections; is a quick learner; a proactive problem solver; and is passionate about the Campaign’s mission.
- Leads and executes the development of a strategy for deepening the Campaign’s student engagement.
- Recruit and organize a cohort of student leaders from the UC, CSU, or CCC to serve as Student Ambassadors.
- Maintain communications with the Campaign’s student groups through emails, social media, and meetings.
- Facilitate relationships with a network of student leadership throughout the state. Develop list of contacts that the Campaign can utilize in their outreach and make introductions (where appropriate).
- Publicize through Facebook, Twitter, and other appropriate social media outlets the various policies for which our student group and/or the Campaign will be taking action on.
- Provide logistical and administrative support to carryout policy and outreach activities.
- Assist in advancing the Campaign’s legislative agenda and policy priorities through student outreach.
- Help outreach to and organize student leaders as needed to participate in policy, outreach, and communications activities.
The salary offered will range between $15 to $18 per hour depending on experience. This position is part-time and requires a commitment between 10 to 15 hours a week.
The Campaign for College Opportunity will accept applications for the position beginning January 24, 2017. Interested parties should forward a cover letter and resume by email with the subject line “Student Engagement Associate” to:
Aileen Zhong, Policy and Program Associate
No phone calls, please.
Solicitation of candidates will continue until a satisfactory pool is achieved. Initial interview will be conducted by Aileen Zhong. A writing sample and minimum of three professional references will be requested for final candidates.
The Campaign for College Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified persons of every background. All applicants should visit our website to learn more about the Campaign at www.collegecampaign.org before submitting a cover letter and resume.