Full Time Position
Senior Research Analyst
Los Angeles, CA or Sacramento, CA
The Campaign for College Opportunity seeks an experienced Senior Research Analyst to work on policy research specific to California higher education.
The Campaign for College opportunity is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) broad-based, bipartisan coalition, including business, education and civil rights leaders, that is dedicated to ensuring the next generation of Californians has the opportunity to go to college and succeed. Our mission is focused on substantially increasing the number of students attending two- and four-year colleges in the state and who complete their college education. The Campaign maintains offices in Los Angeles and Sacramento.
Under the direction of the Director of Policy Research, the Senior Research Analyst will conduct research and analysis to inform public discourse on opportunities for advancing policy reforms specific to higher education in California. The position involves interaction with state and national education experts and advocates, as well as state and federal executive and legislative branch policy staff.
The successful candidate will have excellent research and data analysis skills as well as the demonstrated ability to synthesize policy research for different audiences. Three to five years of experience in higher education policy research or related experience is required. This position will be based in Los Angeles or Sacramento, California and some travel will be required. The Senior Research Analyst will report directly to the Director of Policy Research and work closely with staff across the organization. Specific roles and responsibilities are detailed below.
Research and Analysis
- Conduct quantitative analysis using publicly available data to examine patterns and trends in California public higher education
- Monitor, analyze and catalogue data on college access, retention, completion, financial aid, and equity gaps
- Mine state-specific and national datasets to identify barriers to access and success for low income and underrepresented students in higher education
- Leverage data and research to inform practice and policy development
- Draft literature reviews, reports, memos, briefs and fact sheets to communicate findings and recommendations
- Ensure appropriate peer review and feedback from critical research and organizational partners
- Respond to rapid response inquiries about data and research from staff and external inquiries as appropriate
- Represent the Campaign at in-person meetings and on conference calls (some travel required)
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in a research capacity addressing higher education
- Master’s degree in higher education, education policy, public policy, statistics, demography, or related field
- Demonstrated ability to manage and manipulate data and large datasets
- Strong background in education research and advanced knowledge of ALL of the following:
- American Community Survey (PUMS) oSystem, State and National/Federal data sources
- Survey research
- Descriptive and inferential data analyses oExcel, SPSS and Stata
- Predictive modeling, regression and other advanced statistical analyses is desired, but not required
- Excellent analytical and communication skills (both oral and written) and ability to clearly and accurately describe complex issues to different audiences
- Exceptional attention to detail, ability to handle multiple projects and deliver under deadline and pressure
- Deep knowledge of California public higher education policy and practice
The salary range for the Senior Research Analyst is $55,000 – $67,000 annually, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Campaign offers generous medical, dental, vision and retirement benefits. The Campaign provides three weeks paid vacation and annual professional development opportunities as approved by your supervisor.
The Campaign for College Opportunity will accept applications for the position beginning July 25, 2017. Interested parties should forward a letter of interest, resume and a brief research analysis as a writing sample. When applying please indicate “Senior Research Analyst” in the subject line by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those applying should preview the Campaign’s website http://www. collegecampaign.org/ to become familiar with our research and publications. All candidates selected to interview will be required to submit additional work samples, a listing of research articles and publications the candidate authored or contributed to, and a salary history. Candidates will also be required to complete a short task aimed at assessing their policy research skills. Please include all application materials in one Microsoft Word document or PDF file. Submissions with multiple email attachments will not be accepted.
The Campaign for College Opportunity is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified persons of every background. All applicants should visit our website to learn more about the Campaign at www.collegecampaign.org before submitting a cover letter and resume.
No phone calls please.