2020 Legislative Dean’s List Reception
On January 27th, we had the honor of hosting our annual Dean’s List Reception, honoring the work of key legislators and staffers who have led the way for increasing college opportunity, ensuring racial equity, and prioritizing higher education in 2020. We had the privilege of honoring:
- Dr. Shirley Weber, California’s first African American Secretary of State and an unwavering advocate for racial justice in her work on reinstating affirmative action
- Assemblymember Philip Ting for his work as Chair of the Assembly Budget Committee and ensuring our most vulnerable students aren’t left behind in a time of financial uncertainty
- LA County Supervisor Holly Mitchell for her work as Chair of the Senate Budget Committee and ensuring that student and community partners’ voices were heard throughout budget negotiations
- Assemblymember Jose Medina for his critical work in holding the UC and CSU accountable during proposed changes to college admissions requirements, ensuring that all students have a fair shot at attending a state university
- Aleksandra Reetz, Policy Advisor to Lieutenant Governor Kounalakis, a steadfast ally for the student voice in the legislature
Watch the recording
Sacramento Youth Poet Laureate Alexandra Huynh presenting an original poem “Numbers Game.”
President Michele Siqueiros and UC Student Association President Aidan Arasasingham honor Dr. Shirley N. Weber with Distinction in Elevating Racial Equity.
Policy & Success Initiatives Manager Joshua Hagen and CSSA Vice President of Systemwide Affairs Alondra Esquivel-Garcia honor Assemblymember Ting (AD-19) with Distinction in Courageous Pandemic Response.
Joshua Hagen and SSCCC Vice President for Legislative Affairs Andrew Nickens honor LA County Supervisor Holly J. Mitchell with Distinction in Courageous Pandemic Response.
Vice President of Policy and Advocacy Sara Arce and CSU Student Trustee Krystal Raynes honor Assemblymember Jose Medina (AD-61) with Distinction in Preserving College Dreams.
Senior Vice President Audrey Dow and UC Student Regent-Designate Alexis Atsilvsgi Zaragoza honor Alexandra Reetz, Policy Advisor to Lt. Gov Eleni Kounalakis, with Distinction in Student-Centered Policy Design.